Sitting on the edge of campus, this University power plant acts almost as a beacon, welcoming University visitors. Because of this high visibility, first impressions are critical. Constructed in 1921, this facility is far more efficient than age would tell. The School has made a priority to practice responsible habits, quite notably in the plant’s transformation from primarily coal-burning to a range of more sustainable fuel sources. Our team designed a new rooftop enclosure to house infrastructure facilitating these more sustainable practices, and also to enhance efficiency while aesthetically, communicating the same level of modernity as the plant’s new functionality.
Harsh, industrial materials were replaced with an integrated façade system creating a stack effect to increase natural lighting, improve air quality, and decrease operational costs. The design utilizes insulated metal panels, louvers, and translucent fiberglass panels, creating a cohesive gesture seamlessly situated within its surroundings while also communicating a bold identity statement.